World number three Grigor Dimitrov has strolled into the second round of the Australian Open with a straight-sets win over qualifier Dennis Novak.
A semi-finalist last year and searching for his maiden grand slam title, Dimitrov made short work of the Austrian, advancing 6-3, 6-2, 6-1.
Aware of the bigger challenges that lay ahead, the 26-year-old Bulgarian said he wanted to get the job done quickly on Novak, who was making his grand slam debut.
"The weather was a bit tricky with the wind so I was trying to be compact and focused and use any opportunity I have and save energy," Dimitrov said.
Looking to build on an impressive end to 2017 when he claimed the ATP Tour Finals title in London, Dimitrov said he was not looking too far ahead.
"I'm taking it match by match and this is the next step," he said.
"All I can do is give 100 per cent."
Meanwhile, Britain's Kyle Edmund outfought Kevin Anderson over nearly five hours to send the 11th seed tumbling out 6-7(4), 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4 in the first round.
The world number 49 twice needed to come from a set down to force a deciding fifth set, where again he battled back from a break down to set up a second round clash with Uzbek Denis Istomin.
Big-serving South African Anderson sent down his usual barrage of aces and showed no shortage of fight himself but was ultimately undone as Edmund fired back winner after winner.
The 23-year-old Briton had treatment on his right shoulder in the fifth set but showed no signs of any injury in the closing stages, sealing his victory with another thunderous forehand winner.
International men's results
- Grigor Dimitrov (BUL) def Dennis Novak (AUT) 6-3, 6-2, 6-1
- Matthew Ebden (AUS) def John Isner (USA) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
- Denis Shapovalov (CAN) def Stefanos Tsitsipas (GRE) 6-1, 6-3, 7-6
- Kyle Edmund (GBR) def Kevin Anderson (RSA) 6-7, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Yoshihito Nishioka (JAP) def Philipp Kohlschrieber (GER) 6-3, 2-6, 6-0, 1-6, 6-2
- Viktor Troicki (SRB) def Alex Bolt (AUS) 6-7, 4-6, 6-2, 6-3, 6-4
- Pablo Carreno Busta (ESP) def Jason Kubler (AUS) 7-5, 4-6, 7-5, 6-1
- Gilles Muller (LUX) def Frederico Delbonis (ARG) 7-5, 6-4, 6-3
- Pablo Cuevas (URU) def Mikhail Youzhny (RUS) 7-6, 6-3, 7-5
- Denis Istomin (UZB) def Pierre-Hugues Herbert (FRA) 6-2, 6-1, 5-7, 7-6
- Andrey Rublev (RUS) def David Ferrer (ESP) 7-5, 6-7, 6-2, 6-7, 6-2
- Alexandr Dolgopolov (UKR) def Andreas Haider-Maurer (AUT) 7-6, 6-3, 6-4
- Andreas Seppi (ITA) def Corentin Moutet (FRA) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2, 6-2
- Ryan Harrison (USA) def Dudi Sela (ISR) 6-3, 5-7, 3-6, 7-5, 6-2