The European Commission has announced it is recommending to the European Council that ‘sufficient progress’ has been made in the first phase of Brexit talks.
This means that talks over the divorce of the UK from the EU will go through to their second phase.
Theresa May said that the negotiations had involved ‘significant improvement’ with ‘give and take’ on both sides.
The Prime Minister said the deal would ensure ‘no hard border’ in Ireland.
She and Brexit Minister David Davis met with EU chief executive Jean-Claude Juncker before dawn in Brussels this morning after clinching a deal to open talks on post-Brexit trade.
It followed talks which continued into the early hours between the Prime Minister and Democratic Unionist Party, Arlene Foster, whose party scuppered a deal at the eleventh hour on Monday.
Mrs Foster said that ‘substantial changes’ to the text rejected on Monday would mean there was ‘no red line down the Irish Sea’ in the form of a customs barrier between Northern Ireland and the rest of the UK.
Mr Juncker said that the decision on whether to move forward to talks on trade and the transition to a post-Brexit relationship was in the hands of the leaders of the 27 other EU nations, meeting in Brussels at a European Council summit on Thursday, but said he was ‘confident’ they would do so.
The Commission president said: ‘I will always be sad about this development, but now we must start looking to the future, a future in which the UK will remain a close friend and ally.’
Mrs May said that intensive talks over the past few days had delivered ‘a hard-won agreement in all our interests’.
The Prime Minister said that the agreement would guarantee the rights of three million EU citizens in the UK ‘enshrined in UK law and enforced by British courts’.
She said that it included a financial settlement which was ‘fair to the British taxpayer’ and a guarantee that there will be ‘no hard border’ between Northern Ireland and the Republic, preserving the ‘constitutional and economic integrity of the United Kingdom’.
She said that the agreement between the UK and the Commission, being published in a joint report, would offer ‘welcome certainty’ to businesses.
Under the terms of the negotiations being carried out under Article 50 of the EU treaties, the European Council must agree that sufficient progress has been made on the divorce issues of citizens’ rights, the Irish border and the UK’s financial settlement before talks can move on to the issues of trade and transition.
The publication of the joint report makes it all but certain that EU27 leaders will approve this step on Thursday, marking a significant step forward in the process leading towards UK withdrawal in March 2019.
It eases pressure on Mrs May, who was facing the prospect of businesses activating contingency plans to move staff and activities out of the UK if no progress had been made by the end of the year.
Mr Juncker cautioned: ‘The joint report is not the withdrawal agreement. That agreement needs to be drafted by the negotiators on the basis we have agreed yesterday and today and then approved by the Council and ratified by the UK Parliament and European Parliament.’
He said that he and Mrs May had discussed the need for a transition period following the formal date of Brexit, and shared ‘a joint vision of a deep and close partnership’.
‘It is crucial for us all that we continue working closely together on issues such as trade, research, security and others,’ he said.
‘We will take things one step at a time, starting with next week’s European Council, but today I am hopeful that we are all moving towards the second phase of these challenging negotiations and we can do this jointly on the basis of renewed trust, determination and with the perspective of a renewed friendship.’
Mrs May said that the negotiation process ‘hasn’t been easy for either side’.
‘When we met on Monday, we said a deal was within reach,’ said the PM. ‘What we have arrived at today represents a significant improvement.’