A cat needed surgery after swallowing a rat whole, giving us all a preview of how we’ll feel after Christmas dinner.
Rosie, from Strensall in Yorkshire, was rescued by the RSPCA after turning up at someone’s house with a hard and severely swollen stomach on December 2.
RSPCA officer Leanne Honess-Heather took Rosie in for scans, suspecting she was a stray. However, she was surprised to find the cat was microchipped.
‘When I scanned [Rosie] for a microchip I was able to track down her owners and tell them what had happened,’ Leanne said.
‘They explained that nine-year-old Rosie had run away five months earlier after being with them since she was a kitten.’
Apparently Rosie hadn’t got on with their other cat, and as a result had ‘refused to come home’.
Leanne told the owners that, although the kitty looked bright and happy, her distended stomach was concerning and that she wanted a vet to examine her.
When Rosie was looked at by the vet, a scan showed a massive rat in her stomach.
Leanne said: ‘I updated Rosie’s owners on the situation. They worried that even after the operation Rosie still wouldn’t settle back home and would wander off again.
‘We discussed their options at length and after careful consideration they decided it was in Rosie’s best interests if we found her a new home, where she would be happy and not feel threatened.
‘I spoke with the York branch of the RSPCA, who agreed to take Rosie into their care and pay for the operation to be carried out.
‘Thanks to their wonderful generosity and the fantastic skills of vet Ian Faux, Rosie is on the way to making a full recovery and will soon be available for adoption.’
The post Cat needed surgery after gulping down whole rat in one go appeared first on News Wire Now.