A shopper has claimed she was bitten on the ankle by a false widow spider as she tried on a pair of boots in Primark.
When Vicki Cranidge felt a sharp pain on her shin, she initially attributed it to a piece of plastic digging in to her skin.
So the 45-year-old was shocked to find a spider when she took them off to find out what the cause of the pain was.
The mum said she was shopping at Lakeside Shopping Centre in West Thurrock, Essex, on Thursday, and nipped in to Primark to try on some boots when she was bitten.
She told Essex Live: ‘We sat down and I took my boot off and tried them on. I didn’t like it so took them off and put mine back on, and as I was walking around I noticed a sharp pain in my shin.
‘I sat back down, took my boot off and as I did so I rolled my jeans up and looked down.
‘I thought it was a wasp at first and flicked it off. I think I killed it at the same time. Then I realised it was a spider.’
Vicki is now recovering at home in Galleywood, and added that the bite is going down and just itches slightly.
A Primark first aider came to help her in the store and called the St John’s Ambulance crew, while also scooping up the spider – which was identified as a false widow by paramedics.
Despite being Britain’s most venomous species of spider, it is not lethal and its bites are usually harmless.
However, some people have suffered nasty reactions from false widow bites, including swelling and chest pain.
Metro.co.uk has approached Primark for a statement.
The post Mum ‘bitten by false widow spider’ as she tried on boots in Primark appeared first on News Wire Now.