A restaurant has been fined £50,000 after repeatedly serving food on unhygienic boards ‘that were incapable of being cleaned’.
Ibrahim’s Grill and Steak House Ltd, in Acocks Green, Birmingham, was first visited by Environmental Health officers in October 2016 after an alleged food poisoning outbreak affecting a party of 14.
Birmingham City Council said there were concerns about the use of wooden serving platters, which food was being served on.
The council said that despite serving improvement notices, the eatery continued to use the boards, which ‘could pose a risk of food poisoning to anyone eating from them.’
There were a number of other issues highlighted, including a high level reliance being placed on the use of disposable gloves, rather than the washing of hands.
The cleaning of the premises was poor and sanitising chemicals were not being used in accordance with manufacturer instructions, Birmingham City Council said.
Officers served improvement notices requiring a remedy to the issues.
On a return visit in December 2016 it was found that while food handling had improved, the wooden boards were still being used.
The company entered a guilty plea at Birmingham Magistrates’ Court on Thursday.
They were fined £50,000 and ordered to pay £670 costs and £120 victim surcharge.
Mark Croxford, Head of Environmental Health at Birmingham City Council, said: ‘It is completely unacceptable for businesses to put the health of people eating at their restaurants at risk.
‘The owners were given sound advice which they chose to ignore.
‘I am pleased magistrates supported our efforts with a large fine and hope advice we give on improving businesses to protect health will not be ignored in future.’