The new Justice Secretary is preparing to halt the release of serial rapist John Worboys, according to reports.
It comes just a week after the Parol Board confirmed the sex attacker would be freed after serving almost ten years in prison for drugging 12 women, of which he sexually assaulted seven and raped one.
The announcement prompted dismay from victims’ groups, politicians and legal experts while questions were asked around why all of the 102 complainants had not seen their cases brought to trial.
There were also criticisms over a failure to inform some victims of his planned release.
Now, Justice Secretary David Gauke has been urged to take Worboys’ case to a judicial review – the only way the Parole Board’s controversial decision to release him can be overturned.
According to The Sunday Times, Mr Gauke asked lawyers to prepare a case for review and will trigger the legal challenge if it has a good chance of success.
A Ministry of Justice spokesman said: ‘Mr Gauke commissioned, mid-last week, advice on the plausibility of a judicial review and the prospect of success of any judicial review.
‘The Secretary of State is minded to move forward only if there was a reasonable prospect of success.’
Sarah Green, from the End Violence Against Women Coalition, said: ‘The Justice Secretary’s potential attempt to try and stop the release of dangerous serial rapist John Worboys is very welcome.’
Worboys was jailed indefinitely in 2009, with a minimum term of eight years, for drugging and sexually assaulting women passengers.
He was convicted of 19 offences relating to 12 victims but is suspected of being one of the country’s most prolific sex offenders after he was linked to more than 100 complaints in total.