Snow. It’s not exactly the rarest occurrence in the world, but that won’t stop us making a fuss each time it comes around, and Cambridge gets a dusting of the white stuff.
And while we don’t get the extreme weather conditions other parts of the world (or even parts of the country) take for granted, you can’t exactly blame us for getting a little over-excited when it does come.
So don't be surprised the next time the winter snow clouds are gathering, and the city starts to grind to a halt – we've been here many times before…
1. We build snowmen. Well we try to
When you don't have enough snow for a life-size carrot-nosed snowman, sometimes you have to improvise. And yes, that is a slice of cucumber for a mouth.
2. The entire railway network seems to grind to a halt at the first glimpse of snow
'The wrong type of snow on the tracks…'
3. And the A14 has a whole other reason to make our journeys miserable
4. The beautiful college buildings look even more magical
5. But the students are just not fazed
6. Everyone rushes for the highest vantage point they can
7. And you can't move for people taking selfies
8. People from places that get actual snow can't believe all the fuss
(We can't all adopt Canada-levels of preparedness…)
9. The Botanic Garden takes on a new, but just as impressive, appearance
10. But people outside of Cambridge start feeling left out
11. No matter how cold it gets, we won't abandon our bikes
12. Though sometimes it’s easier to head somewhere cosy for a hot drink, and wait for it all to blow over…
13. But not if you're a tourist desperate to see the Backs for the first time. (Or a punter keen to earn some cash!)
You can keep up to date with all the latest news in and around Cambridge by downloading our free app.