Saturday, December 4, 2021
Latest News from Cambridge and England


Girl, 2, ‘could have died’ after Boots pharmacist gave wrong medicine

‘The label on the bottle reads “May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways” followed by “If swallo..

By admin , in UK , at February 28, 2018

Georgia Diebelius

Girl, 2, 'could have died' after Boots pharmacist gave wrong medicine
‘The label on the bottle reads “May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways” followed by “If swallowed, immediately call a poison centre or doctor”.’ (Picture: Colchester Gazette/ SWNS)

A mum claims her toddler could have been killed after a mix up in Boots saw a pharmacist give her the wrong medicine.

Emily Newlove was horrified to realise the chemist had prescribed the wrong kind of liquid paraffin, which warned ‘may be fatal if swallowed’.

People walk along Bankside in the snow, in London, as heavy snowfall is affecting roads across the UK on Tuesday morning after several centimetres fell in some parts over the night. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Tuesday February 27, 2018. Police forces have reported Bookies taking bets on a white Easter as Beast from the East continues across the UK

She was given the bottle – which was labelled ‘keep out of reach of children’ – to treat her two-year-old daughter Grace, who suffers from constipation.

The 22-year-old said: ‘The label on the bottle reads “May be fatal if swallowed and enters airways” followed by “If swallowed, immediately call a poison centre or doctor”.

‘After speaking with another pharmacist I was told this medication would have killed her if taken.

Emily Newlove, 22 with daughter Grace with the medicine she was given by mistake. See Masons copy MNMEDICINE: A mum claims her young daughter could have been killed after a pharmacist gave her the wrong medicine - which was labelled 'keep out of reach of children'. Emily Newlove, 22, was horrified to realise Boots the chemist had prescribed the wrong kind of liquid paraffin, which warned 'may be fatal if swallowed'. She was given it to treat her two-year-old daughter Grace, who suffers from constipation.
Emily Newlove was horrified to realise the chemist had prescribed the wrong kind of liquid paraffin, which warned ‘may be fatal if swallowed’. (Picture: Colchester Gazette/ SWNS)

‘Had I not checked the label this could have been a life or death situation.

‘While I appreciate everyone makes mistakes and errors happen, certain procedures are put in place and things like this should be being double-checked.

Snow settles on a London underground sign outside Piccadilly Circus tube station, as heavy snow and sub-zero conditions have blighted Britain's roads, railways and airports, with delays and cancellations. PRESS ASSOCIATION Photo. Picture date: Wednesday February 28, 2018. See PA story WEATHER Snow. Photo credit should read: Jonathan Brady/PA WireLondon snow travel updates for TfL Rail, Tubes and Overground this afternoon

‘It fills me with great concern and fear at how easily this error has taken place and how often it could potentially be happening to other people.’

Emily, from Brightlingsea, Essex, said Grace had a history of constipation and consultants had prescribed a number of remedies to ease her condition.

Grace has been on liquid paraffin daily since the end of January but Emily said her local Boots in Brightlingsea had sometimes found it difficult to get hold of the medication.

She said: ‘I spoke to the lady on the till and asked her to confirm she could definitely get both medicines as I didn’t want to be in a situation where Grace ran out.

The correct medicine on the left in the smaller bottle and the medicine given in error. See Masons copy MNMEDICINE: A mum claims her young daughter could have been killed after a pharmacist gave her the wrong medicine - which was labelled 'keep out of reach of children'. Emily Newlove, 22, was horrified to realise Boots the chemist had prescribed the wrong kind of liquid paraffin, which warned 'may be fatal if swallowed'. She was given it to treat her two-year-old daughter Grace, who suffers from constipation.
When she got home she realised the bag contained liquid paraffin used to make creams, not her usual oral medicine. (Picture: Colchester Gazette/ SWNS)

‘A short while later Boots called to confirm they were able to order the medicine.

‘I went back to see if Grace’s prescription was ready for collection; I was given two medicines in a bag.’

Met Office extends severe weather warnings for another three days

But when she got home she realised the bag contained liquid paraffin used to make creams, not her usual oral medicine.

‘I noticed one of the bottles was different from usual and also didn’t have a information sheet with it, nor was it in a box’, she said.

Miss Newlove has lodged a formal complaint with Boots and wants to raise awareness of the importance of checking medication.

The wrong medicine's Label. See Masons copy MNMEDICINE: A mum claims her young daughter could have been killed after a pharmacist gave her the wrong medicine - which was labelled 'keep out of reach of children'. Emily Newlove, 22, was horrified to realise Boots the chemist had prescribed the wrong kind of liquid paraffin, which warned 'may be fatal if swallowed'. She was given it to treat her two-year-old daughter Grace, who suffers from constipation.
‘After speaking with another pharmacist I was told this medication would have killed her if taken. (Picture: Colchester Gazette/ SWNS)

A spokesman for the high street pharmacist said: ‘At Boots UK, patient safety is at the heart of what we do and the care and welfare of every patient is our number one priority.

‘We are currently investigating this dispensing incident and we would like to apologise most sincerely to the patient and her family as we work to resolve their concerns.’

Comments


Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *