A man was seriously injured after his head became wedged in an electric chair at a Vue cinema in Birmingham.
The man had reportedly being trying to retrieve his phone after dropping it between the new Gold Class seats at the end of a film at the Star City leisure complex.
But as he bent down to pick it up off the floor, the chair’s footrest is said to have clamped down on his head, according to Birmingham Live.
The man suffered a cardiac arrest while his partner and staff at the cinema tried to free him.
The chair’s foot-rest was eventually broken free and he was released.
Vue Cinemas said a full investigation into the incident has now been launched.
West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed that it was called to reports of a patient in cardiac arrest at Star City on Friday March 9 at 7.06pm.
An ambulance service spokesman said: ‘Crews arrived on scene to find a man in cardiac arrest with bystanders having already commenced CPR.
‘Ambulance staff took over and administered advanced life support, successfully managing to restart the man’s heart.
‘He was then transported to Heartlands Hospital for further treatment.’
A spokeswoman for Vue Cinemas said: ‘We can confirm an incident took place on Friday 9 March at our Birmingham cinema, of which a full investigation is under way.
‘We are committed to helping and assisting those involved and respect their wishes for privacy and no publicity.’
Mark Croxford, head of environmental health at Birmingham City Council, said the authority had been notified of the incident and a health and safety investigation had begun.
He said: ‘We are unable to comment further at this stage, as the investigation is ongoing.’
The Star City complex has 25 screens including three Gold Class rooms which promotes comfort and luxury.
According to the company’s website, the Gold Class ticket price is strictly for over 18’s and offers ‘luxury seating with a fully licensed bar and an enhanced viewing experience.’