Tuesday, January 18, 2022
Latest News from Cambridge and England


Chef found dead in Travelodge on Christmas morning overdosed on cocaine

A chef who was found dead in a Travelodge on Christmas morning died accidentally from taking cocaine..

By admin , in Cambridge , at May 9, 2018

A chef who was found dead in a Travelodge on Christmas morning died accidentally from taking cocaine, a coroner ruled.

Jordan Maltby died at around 3.30am on December 25 in a room in Travelodge on Newmarket Road.

The 22-year old, who worked as a chef at The Chequers pub in Orwell, near Royston, had been out with friends on Christmas Eve, before checking into the budget hotel.

His devastated family previously told the News about their struggle to come to terms with the loss of Jordan.

Senior coroner David Heming ruled that his death had been one of "misadventure" at an inquest hearing today (May 8).

Jordan Maltby

A toxicologist found Jordan had 7.43 mg/l of cocaine in his blood, a level that is known to have toxic effects.

Mr Heming said: "There is nothing to indicate that this was anything other than what is in effect an accidental death.

"I would like to express my condolences to the family of Jordan who must clearly be devastated by the tragic and accidental loss of life concerning their son Jordan."

Speaking in February, Jordan's father Mathew Maltby said his son was expected home for a family breakfast on Christmas morning, but his parents knew something was wrong when he didn't turn up.

Jordan Ashley Maltby died on Christmas morning in a room in Travelodge on Newmarket Road

"All we know is that he went out with friends on the night he died," Mathew said.

"He was supposed to be coming home on Christmas Eve, but he asked us if he could go out with his friends and come and join us in the morning for our Christmas family breakfast.

"He was just going to go out with his mates. But when he didn't turn up my wife was worried, he wouldn't miss the family breakfast. We'd bought food we know he likes.

Read More

"We found out he had been staying at the Travelodge on Newmarket Road, so my wife went there on Christmas morning to ask the receptionist if Jordan had been staying there.

"Staff said they didn't have anyone by that name on the list. When she came home, I said to her he could have been staying there under his friend's name.

"We phoned them to ask if Jordan's friend's name was on the list. As soon as they said yes I just jumped in the car."

He continued: "The police were there and I could hear them talking to each other. I knew what was going on.

"Someone had died, but they wouldn't let me go in as they didn't know yet whether it was a crime scene.

"I persuaded them to let me see if it was Jordan. I told them I wasn't going to go home to my wife on Christmas day to say someone was dead but I didn't know whether it was Jordan or not.

"I said I needed to come and have a look. I needed to know if it was my son.

"They finally agreed and let me in, and there was my son lying dead on the floor in the bathroom.

Read More

"We only live two minutes away from the Travelodge. I presume he stayed there because he knew he would be out late with his mates and didn't want to wake us up coming in.

"I had to go home and tell my wife, and life has been absolutely horrendous for us since then."

Mathew said that Jordan's funeral on January 10 had been attended by hundreds of people.

"We gave him the best send-off we could," he said.

Jordan's family established a charity called JOY – Jordie On You – which aimed to help children suffering bereavement and people suffering with mental health conditions.

Mathew found a song that Jordan had created and this was released as a single on iTunes, with proceeds going to the charity.

"If we can help people with mental health problems and people who have been bereaved with our new charity it would mean a lot," he said.

To help Mathew's new charity JOY, set up in his son's name, visit their Justgiving page, or follow @JordieOnYou on Twitter.

Listen to JOY's single Valentine on iTunes.

Chef found dead in Travelodge on Christmas morning overdosed on cocaine

A chef who was found dead in a Travelodge on Christmas morning died accidentally from taking cocaine..

By admin , in Cambridge , at May 9, 2018

A chef who was found dead in a Travelodge on Christmas morning died accidentally from taking cocaine, a coroner ruled.

Jordan Maltby died at around 3.30am on December 25 in a room in Travelodge on Newmarket Road.

The 22-year old, who worked as a chef at The Chequers pub in Orwell, near Royston, had been out with friends on Christmas Eve, before checking into the budget hotel.

His devastated family previously told the News about their struggle to come to terms with the loss of Jordan.

Senior coroner David Heming ruled that his death had been one of "misadventure" at an inquest hearing today (May 8).

Jordan Maltby

A toxicologist found Jordan had 7.43 mg/l of cocaine in his blood, a level that is known to have toxic effects.

Mr Heming said: "There is nothing to indicate that this was anything other than what is in effect an accidental death.

"I would like to express my condolences to the family of Jordan who must clearly be devastated by the tragic and accidental loss of life concerning their son Jordan."

Speaking in February, Jordan's father Mathew Maltby said his son was expected home for a family breakfast on Christmas morning, but his parents knew something was wrong when he didn't turn up.

Jordan Ashley Maltby died on Christmas morning in a room in Travelodge on Newmarket Road

"All we know is that he went out with friends on the night he died," Mathew said. (more…)

Comments


Leave a Reply


Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *