Life

Opera star Anna Netrebko in hospital with coronavirus

MOSCOW (AFP) – Russian opera star Anna Netrebko said on Thursday (Sept 17) she had contracted coronavirus and was in hospital with pneumonia after performing at the Bolshoi Theatre's post-lockdown opening show.

The singer's illness comes as two top Russian theatres have suffered outbreaks of the virus shortly after reopening, raising fears over the safety of performers.

The 48-year-old soprano wrote on Instagram: "I've been in hospital for five days already with Covid pneumonia and will soon start recovering.

"I came to hospital in time and they're helping me. Everything will be alright, the devil is not so black as he's painted," she added.

She said that her husband, Azerbaijani tenor Yusif Eyvazov, had tested positive for antibodies to the virus, showing he had been infected earlier.

He is currently performing in Queen Of Spades at the Bolshoi.

Netrebko performed on Sept 6 and 8 in Don Carlos at the Bolshoi, the legendary theatre's opening show after lockdown.

The Bolshoi had to cancel the third performance of the Verdi opera, set for Sept 10, after Russian bass Ildar Abdrazakov tested positive for coronavirus.

Netrebko's manager Maxim Berin told The New York Times that she had been unwell since Sept 9 but was now feeling better.

The news that Netrebko also caught the virus comes as the Bolshoi has mounted an ambitious new season including performances of Tchaikovsky's ballet Swan Lake later this month.

It has put social distancing measures in place for the audience including compulsory wearing of masks and spaced-out seating.

The Mariinsky Theatre in SaintRead More – Source